Botanical garden Kandy - Sri Lanka
When you travel through Kandy exploring city and nature do not miss Peradeniya botanical garden and don't forget your camera.
The gardens of Sri Lanka have a rich history. The beginnings of gardens date back to the 14th century. Peradeniya garden is famous for its rich collection of orchids, which should have been over 300 species.
A major expansion of Botanic gardens was in the 19 century. In the garden was first grown exotic fruits, vegetables, coffee, tea and rubber, which have all become very important products for the domestic economy.
In year 1844, George Gardner, as first professional gardener became a supervisor in the park. He began to travel around the island and different places of world and bring the plants into the garden. . The garden spreads on more than 60 hectares with over 10,000 trees. Among them is bamboo from Burma, who grows up to 60 cm per day.
Peradeniya garden - Kandy
Botanical Garden is located in the Central Province of Sri Lanka 5 km away from Kandy centre.
Peradeniya Botanical Gardens is best known for its collection of orchids. The orchid section was established in 1950’s to maintain a collection of orchids and to produce novel hybrids.. The production of orchid plants dramatically increased and sales expanded. A new orchid showroom was also established during the 1970s and is still functional.
Walking trough the park of Peradeniya
Park is also home to an amazing variety of medicinal plants which are used in local Ayurvedic practices. Many people visit garden simply to enjoy hiking and watching birds or to take a photos of the peaceful views. Botanical garden is also host of numerous species of butterflies. The humid atmosphere and many f flowering plants makes garden as an ideal location for butterflies. The most commonly sighted butterfly species are the crimson rose, common mormon and the blue mormon.
There are two must see points in the garden: a huge Javan fig tree which covering 1600 sq. meters
and Cabbage Palm Avenue which was was planted in 1905. Walking along the stately avenue of Royal Palms (1885) we find fruit bats in large colonies hanging in the trees.